To save customers' time, the procedure for the exchange of euro circulation coins at Latvijas Banka will change as of 2 January 2019.
- Up to 100 euro circulation coins of any face value will be accepted for immediate exchange from a customer once a day.
- If the number of coins submitted for exchange exceeds 100, they will be accepted for the purposes of recounting and verification at the cash processing centre of Latvijas Banka; the amount equivalent to the value of coins will be transferred to the customer's settlement account with a credit institution in Latvia or in another country of the European Union.
- No more than five standard boxes of coins, irrespective of the number of coins they contain, will be accepted from a customer within a calendar month. One box contains ~1 400 small-denomination coins.
- Unlimited number of coins will be accepted from the public benefit organisations* having submitted a written acknowledgement to Latvijas Banka, stating that they collect donations and specifying the type of fundraising and the approximate number of the coins to be exchanged. The amount equivalent to the value of coins will be credited to the respective organisation's settlement account with a credit institution in Latvia or in another country of the European Union.
* Public benefit organisations are associations and foundations, the aim indicated in the articles of association, constitution or by-laws of which is public benefit activities as well as religious organisations or the institutions thereof (hereinafter, religious organisations), which perform public benefit activities if such associations, foundations and religious organisations have been granted public benefit organisation status and if they use their income for activities of non-commercial nature and directed to ensuring public benefit activities (Section 3, Public Benefit Organisation Law).