A central bank stands for safety, stability and permanence. It has a special place in the financial system because an emission bank is one of the symbols of an independent state. The building of a central bank, therefore, acquires special importance. The building which now belongs to the Bank of Latvia was designed by Augusts Reinbergs (1860-1908) for the needs of the Riga Branch of the State Bank of Russia. The building was put into operation in January 1905. In 1922 it became the main building of the Bank of Latvia, and from that time on, the history of the Bank of Latvia has been closely related with this building.

Augusts Reinbergs, among whose masterpieces is the National Theatre, created a building which at that time was considered to have modern construction: for the operational halls the architect used reinforced concrete. The building's exterior is not sophisticated, it is sparely but elegantly decorated. The facade is in stylized Renaissance forms, with decorative pargeting to emphasize windows. The building is compatible with other buildings situated on the Palace Square. It is one of the last eclectic buildings in Riga and is listed as a monument, a building significant to Latvia. Various owners and time have altered the building. A number of changes have been made by the Bank of Latvia in the recent six years. Since during its life the building has been used for banks, which have a special working environment, the house and its interior are in a good condition.

The Bank of Latvia works at its uniform interior design, striving to blend historical and modern elements. The large bank-like operational halls are divided into smaller offices. In the spring of 1997, the attic was rebuilt to house modern offices which surprise with unconventional ideas implemented in modern material. Several departments of the Bank have already moved to these offices.

The historical building of the Bank of Latvia, which was constructed in the early 20th century, is being rebuilt to suit the needs of a modern central bank. This means changes, but without losing historical traces, on the contrary, emphasizing them. All changes conform with the Bank's image, the core of which is its building - impressive, historical and at the same time modern and functional.

The eagles in the Bank's facade symbolize power and wealth. Already from the beginning the facade had a parapet, a place for the logo. The first logo, in accordance with the customs of that time, was in stylized Russian letters. After the establishment of the Bank of Latvia in 1922, the logo was changed for a new inscription "Latvijas Banka". At the end of 1996, the logo of the restored Bank of Latvia was placed on the parapet, its historical place.

Monumental and impressive is the bank's central staircase with balustrade cut in dark marble from Belgium. Four richly decorated candelabra are placed on high marble podiums. The walls and ceiling of the stairwell are adorned with gypsum embellishments. The fact that photographs of the staircase have also been used in several publications of the Bank of Latvia issued before WWII implies that it is one of the most beautiful areas in the Bank.

The walls and arched ceiling in the second floor hall are decorated with gypsum ornaments. The hall evokes associations with classical bank premises, and this is because of counters with small windows at which customers were served once.

The hall is divided into three archways, and the harmonious rhythm of arches and vaults is accentuated. The ornamental zones also emphasize the rhythm and consonance of lines.

Nowhere else in Latvia early 20th century counters with windows for servicing customers can be found.

In the governor's office one can find a set of furniture of the early 20th century. The massive and ornate furniture is in tune with the Bank's impressive eclectic building.

The large assembly hall is outstanding for its lincrusta, a special wallpaper, and brass chandelier of the early 20th century. When in this hall, it is easy to visualize how once the Bank's Council held its meetings and made significant decisions there. The large assembly hall is also used for the same purpose today.

The arrangement of the office of the Head of Cashier's and Money Operations Department is authentic; on the wall - the painting "A Venetian Landscape", created by the famous Latvian painter Ludolfs Liberts (1895-1959) in the 1930s, in a wooden frame characteristic of the period

Originally one of the Bank's wings, the one overlooking K. Valdemara Street (previously Nikolaja Street), housed apartments where the Bank's employees lived. It is in this wing that one still can find many tile stoves (tiles produced by the factory "Zelm u. Boehm" in the early 20th century) and open-hearth stoves.

The revolving door built in the lobby is the symbiosis of a modern design and historical interior.

One of the largest offices on the fourth floor is used by the Information Systems Department. The only element reminding of the attic is joists which have been left visible to add flavour of history to the businesslike, modern office with numerous computers and other office equipment. This office has skylights.

Please mail comments and suggestions to webmaster@bank.lv